Archive for category command line parameters

Renaming Windows Domain Controllers

The following are the steps needed to rename a domain controller; the steps have been tested up to Windows Server 2016.

Note: If your DC is also acting as a Dfs nameroot server, make sure you remove the nameserver from Dfs first!

From an elevated command line, type the following commands:

  1. Add the new domain controller name NEW_DC; we’re replacing OLD_DC
    NETDOM COMPUTERNAME OLD_DC.companydomain.com /ADD:NEW_DC.companydomain.com
  2. Designate the new name as the primary computer name; OLD_DC gets removed and NEW_DC is new primary name
    NETDOM COMPUTERNAME OLD_DC.companydomain.com /MAKEPRIMARY:NEW_DC.companydomain.com
  3. Reboot domain controller
  4. Now, let’s remove the old domain controller name from Active Directory
    NETDOM COMPUTERNAME NEW_DC.companydomain.com /REMOVE:OLD_DC.companydomain.com
  5. Sync all DCs

In the event that you didn’t notice the warning on top and you went ahead and renamed the domain controller and you had Dfs services running on it, here are some instructions on how to manually remove Dfs nameserver and fix the issue.

  1. Log on to the recently renamed domain controller
  2. Open Regedit.exe
  3. Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\DFS\Roots\domainV2
  4. Delete the key found under domainV2 and reboot your server
  5. Next, remove the Dfs share from the server
  6. Now you can delete the Dfs folder
  7. Done

2017-06-10_1708

Leave a comment

SCCM 2012 and Microsoft App-V Client 4.6 SP1

Believe it or not I had such a hard time creating a SCCM 2012 packaged application for Microsoft App-V Client 4.6 SP1.

I found several promising links on this topic, but none went to the point or explained the process from start to finish. After researching this process, it looks like you can use the EXE or the MSI to create the packaged application.
The MSI way is supposed to be the desired way, and what most people recommend. However, not everything works as people document it, and certainly it didn’t work for me after several days of working on this.

Note: The main issue I had with the MSI installation was due to the VC++ 2005 Redistributable requirement. Although I was able to extract the VC++ 2005 MSI, and I was able to properly install it, somehow the setup.msi file would not recognize it as installed in the system! I spent way too many hours troubleshooting this issue and in the end, my productivity had slowed down due to this problem, so it was time for me to move on.

In the end, I opted for using the easier way – the EXE setup file. Using setup.exe takes care of all requirements for you, no need to create separate packages for them. Microsoft instructions on how to perform a silent install using the EXE file is found here. The documentation on what each installation paramater mean, is found here.

First off, I do not use an App-v publishing server, so make sure you read Microsoft’s information about installation parameters!

Here we go:

  1. The installation command line I use is: setup.exe /s /v”/qb-! SWICACHESIZE=\”6144\”
  2. The detection methods I use are based on registry keys: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\sftmime.com
  3. The other detection method I use is: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\sftmime.exe
Here are some screenshots:


This method has worked flawlessly in our environment, and I hope this helps someone out there.

Leave a comment