We wanted to get Wake-on-Lan (WoL) to work on our DELL Optiplex 990 desktops with Windows 7.
Here’s how we got this work in our environment. (Make sure your DELL computers are running the latest BIOS version.)
Enable BIOS settings:
- Under Power Management
- Enable – Wake on Lan ( LAN Only )
- This one is needed for Windows 7 and to allow the machine to be woken up from a sleep state
- Disable – Deep Sleep Control
- This one is needed to allow to boot up the machine when the machine has been shutdown
Enable Windows 7 settings:
- Go to Window’s Device Manager
- Go to the properties for your primary network card
- Go to the Power Management tab
- Click to enable Allow this device to wake the computer
Note: Make sure you create an incoming rule in Windows 7 firewall to allow some of the WoL testing tools to run properly.
- If you’re working on a large network, then make sure your network team adds ip directed-broadcast on the router/switch interface where you’ll be sending WoL packets.
We now have all the settings necessary to get WoL working.